Saturday, November 21, 2009

Breaking up is hard to

I have always been a big girl. 

Do I want to be skinny? Hell Yes   But, that is not my motivating factor in my current journey to lose weight.   My health is my number 1 reason for trying to turn my life around and be a skinnier healthy person.

I was diagnosed with high blood pressure about 9 years ago.  I had a slew of heart problems at the time that pretty much kept me in the cardiologist office.   As soon as my b/p was under control, along came diabetes.

Being in my late 20’s, I blew everything off!   Out of sight, out of mind.  I quit taking all my meds.  I quit monitoring my blood pressure and my diabetes.   It was so much easier to eat whatever I wanted, when I wanted.  I didnt have to worry about taking pills, or giving myself injections everyday!

Soon after, my weight crept up to 240.  This was my heaviest.   I told everyone that I didnt care, I was going to be fat and happy.  But, I was miserable with it all.

November 2008 I was diagnosed with  complex atypical hyperplasia.   Face with the fact that I had a 60% chance of it turning into cancer I had a Hysterectomy in December.  When labs came back after surgery, it had already grew into cancer. I knew then that my life had to change.  I was put back on all my meds and tried again to lose weight.

That lasted a couple of months, and I was back where I started.   No meds.

Finally, I decided I would try this healthy thing again.  I had been eating less, moving more.  That was all I was doing.  No big fad diet.   My biggest thing was ditching my Dr Pepper.   Once I started drinking more water, I started losing more weight.  

So, I was down 25 pounds when it was time for our yearly insurance blood work.   I was pretty happy to see that change on the scale.   What I didn't like was my b/p was sky high.    It wasn't long and the company Dr called and wanted to see me asap.    I knew where this was going.

I was diagnosed with Metabolic Syndrome.   From the American Heart Assoc.

The metabolic syndrome is characterized by a group of metabolic risk factors in one person. They include:

  • Abdominal obesity (excessive fat tissue in and around the abdomen)
  • Atherogenic dyslipidemia (blood fat disorders — high triglycerides, low HDL cholesterol and high LDL cholesterol — that foster plaque buildups in artery walls)
  • Elevated blood pressure
  • Insulin resistance or glucose intolerance (the body can’t properly use insulin or blood sugar)
  • Prothrombotic state (e.g., high fibrinogen or plasminogen activator inhibitor–1 in the blood)
  • Proinflammatory state (e.g., elevated C-reactive protein in the blood)

GULP!   Really, this is where my hard head got me!  Being stupid about my previous issues drove me into a pit of disease!    I started back on my normal b/p  and diabetes pills, plus cholesterol pill and a baby aspirin.

The Dr explained that my blood is fatty and my metabolism is in the tank.  So, once I was on the pills a while it would be a lot easier for me to lose weight!    Very Positive!  

I am down to 195 now.  My biggest thing is to eat my protein everyday.  Cutting back on carbs and fats is pretty rough.   But, so far that's where I am at. 

I am getting happy and healthy.   Down 45 pounds so far, and 45 to go!

Hoping that I can stick it out this time,  praying that I don't fall into the same rut as before.   

No comments:

Post a Comment